NBN Co was created on 9 August, 2009 and from the start we've been hard at work building the company, developing a wholesale product offering, selecting technology and designing the network and systems. We are a wholly-owned Commonwealth company that has been prescribed as a Government Business Enterprise (GBE) and is represented by "Shareholder Ministers" - the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy and the Minister of Finance and Deregulation.
At NBN Co, our goals are simple - deliver Australia's first national wholesale-only, open access broadband network to all Australians, regardless of where they live.
We will connect 93% of homes, schools and workplaces with optical fibre (fibre to the premises or "FTTP"), providing superfast broadband services to Australians in urban and regional towns*.For the remaining 7% we will connect to our next generation fixed wireless and satellite, subject to final design.
For more information on when the NBN is coming to your area, go to Maps.
* The speeds actually experienced by end-users via fibre, fixed wireless or satellite will depend on a number of factors including the retail broadband plan they choose, their equipment and their in premises connection.
Statement of Corporate Intent
NBN Co's Statement of Corporate Intent was tabled in Parliament on Tuesday 9 October 2012.
Latest news View more